Laboratory Technical Manager
External Posting Title: Laboratory Technical Manager
PepsiCo is looking for a Laboratory Technical Manager to join our busy R&D Analytical Science function.
Innovation takes centre stage at PepsiCo and our R&D team is forever busy creating new and exciting products for our consumers around the world. In a fast-moving environment like ours, our R&D capability is crucial in making sure we meet the latest consumer needs, whether nutrition, refreshment or indulgence. At the heart of our innovation is Beaumont Park in Leicester, our state-of-the-art R&D facility, where this role is based.
As a Technical Manager you’ll be have with overall technical responsibility for the lab, including full line management responsibility for a team of six.
What you’ll get up to:
- Manage analytical support programmes for the Global and European R&D Teams with full decision making responsibility around resource, planning work load to ensuring customer expectations are met.
- Develop analytical strategies to solve critical technical problems, working closely with other global functions and consulting with customers and peers to ensure the right decisions are made for the business.
- Use analytical expertise to provide technical insight during projects involving product/process development, manufacturing scale-up, quality assurance, and regulatory compliance.
- Develop workflows and analytical procedures aimed at increasing the efficiency of the lab via the implementation of automation and improved IT infrastructure.
- Play a leading role in the strategic development of the lab whilst ensuring a fit for purpose analytical service is maintained and developed in line with current and future business requirements.
- Represent PepsiCo at European cross-industry working groups and task forces.
- Lead the investigation and evaluation of new technologies through proof of principle studies conducted in collaboration with academia, external research organisation and/or instrument suppliers.
- Generation of hypotheses and the conducting of sound project research - plan, design, execute and report statistically sound experiments in a precise and timely manner.
- Assist the team with the interpretation and reporting of experimental results.
- Collaborate with colleague of all levels to understand key analytical programmes / projects that are on the horizon.
- Support Analytical teams and Quality Programme in the execution of the analytical workload to deliver accurate and timely data.
- Manage Standard Operating Procedures / Instructions for analytical methods and equipment
- Train and sign off junior member of the team on the correct laboratory procedures
- Ensure daily interaction with Lab Leaders to assess priorities and execute the assigned workload with minimal supervision.
- Master’s degree (MSc.) or post graduate qualification in a Chemistry related discipline.
- Deep understanding of, and extensive experience in, applying a wide range of chromatography techniques (with a focus on LCMS) for application to foods and beverages matrices.
- Previous laboratory experience at a senior level with a very good understanding of laboratory quality accreditation eg. GLP/GMP and UKAS (ISO)
- Ability to interpret and analyse complex multivariate data, make business recommendations and effectively communicate findings to internal and external stakeholders to aid decision making.
- Experience of coordinating technically complex analytical support programmes.
- Have knowledge and interest in up and coming technology.
- Pragmatic, solutions focused approach backed by strong technical and analytical skills
- Good understanding of the broader business environment and wider commercial knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate effectively across all levels and all functions of the organisation
- Strong IT skills and good presentation skills (written & verbal)
- Self-starter with a very high drive for results and able to deal with uncertainty and complexity
- Strong networker internally and externally
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated approximately $63 billion in net revenue in 2016, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo’s product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.Relocation Eligible: Not Applicable
Job Category: Research and Development
Job Type: Regular