Role: Process Engineer
Location: Leicester, UK
Salary: Competitive with a range of benefits including performance based bonus, private medical cover and competitive pension.
Posting date: 5th April
Closing date: 2nd May
We’re looking for a Process Engineer to drive technology innovation and design and deliver new process technologies across the non-core process platforms.
- Design, development and creation of novel processing equipment for savoury snacks production including: high pressure hot extrusion from twin screw co-rotating extruders, single screw extruders, sheeting equipment, flow modelling of dies, continuous fryer design and optimisation
- Use knowledge of starch chemistry and ingredient transformations to influence the rheology of dough mixtures to produce different textures and product forms
- Use knowledge of ingredient / material handling systems for multi-phase ingredient blending, mixing and depositing to develop new product forms
- Appropriate use of dimensionless numbers and computational fluid dynamics to scale-up process technology from pilot scale to industrial sized equipment
- Generate hypotheses and conduct sound project research—Plan, design, execute and report statistically sound experiments in a precise and timely manner to generate and test new hypotheses. Make recommendations based on data analysis and input from others
- Own the food safety plan including determining the principle kill steps to assure final product safety and compliance to regulatory requirements.
- Manage insights-driven testing and analysis to develop data driven theories to support product design against competitive landscape comparisons.
- Creation and protection of intellectual property to protect PEP investment and create barriers to competitor entry to market
- Building a network of subject matter experts internally, externally and with strategic partners to accelerate development and to facilitate break through design and innovation.
Key Skills Required
- Graduate in Chemical / Process Engineering or related discipline or equivalent
- Significant experience in FMCG R&D, process and product development role
- Understanding of Food Science, Food Engineering and Manufacturing.
- Very thorough understanding and knowledge of analytical and consumer product testing
- Willingness and drive to learn quickly and deeply in totally new scientific areas with experience in pioneering growth of critical new company knowledge
- Strong analytical skills to interpret complex data and distil into meaningful information e.g. interpreting consumer insights, experimental design and statistical inference
- Proven project management skills to effectively drive a complex project
- Track record of influencing NPD initiatives
- Established competence at process and product development
- Experience of working in cross-functional teams representing R&D at a Global level is critical to the role.
- Must be willing to travel Globally for up to 25% of the year, typically 2 weeks blocks away, working in teams in developing and emerging markets.
Job Type: Pipeline