R&D Eng Assoc Manager
Lead the process development and first commercialization of Nutrition R&D products across; Asia, Middle East and Africa with some initiatives globally for; fruit & vegetable, dairy and non-dairy, other still nutrition beverages and also for foods.
Process Development and Commercialization Engineering Leadership
- Lead, identify, select, develop, test, establish, validate & manage the robust process systems and first commercialization of; fruit & vegetable, dairy and non-dairy, other still beverages and nutritious foods. Position scope starts with ideation of process options, evaluates & screens process options during feasibility and then leads bench to pilot and then commercial scale up trails. Cross-functional collaboration, excellent critical thinking and desire to apply process technologies (aseptic processing, hot filling, baking, enrobing, cold forming, etc.) to commercialize Beverages and Foods are keys to success.
- Working with and supporting; Food Safety, PepsiCo process authority, Quality and other team members – to assure all components & systems (product, process, package and work processes) are capable of producing & sustaining the safe & robust production of low and high acid beverages plus preparation and processing of foods.
- Identify and lead internal and external resources to deliver safe, robust processes consistent with business needs (timing, product types, resources, etc.). Organize and lead tests from bench to commercial scale. Mentor junior engineers and other team members.
- Completely document your work to enable effective hand-off to; Supply Chain, R&D teams globally and within the region, and others.
- Identify and lead with internal and external partners improvements to enhance; robustness, innovativeness of our work and to reduce; risk, cost and time for PepsiCo.
- Support and actively influence PepsiCo Strategic Plan (PSP) and Strategic Capability Plan (SCP). Identify opportunities for strategic investments in; team and people development & training, R&D development processes, pilot plant capabilities, partners and technologies to deliver the PSP and SCP.
- Identify, develop training and mentor for other Engineers and the project team to insure the success of the projects and the long term strategic direction Nutrition Beverages and Foods. Suggest, lead &/or co-lead development of courses for R&D University.
Teamwork and Communication
- Foster through example and team leadership building; comradery and collaboration.
- Excellent project and technical written documentation and oral communication from lab notebook to test requests and reports, engineering documentation (transformational flow sheets, process learning plans, P&ID, etc.)
- Demonstrated effectiveness at using data coupled with clear and concise written and oral communication to influence the project team and senior leadership to understand risk, change course, fund projects, stop work, pursue IP, etc.
- Ability to represent function internally and with external business partners (JV, copackers, etc.) proactively and effectively communicating challenges, risks and requirements to mitigate while also understanding and appreciating their business needs and perspective.
- Lead process development and first commercialization worldwide of existing, modified and new process technologies for; low and high acid aseptic beverage manufacturing platforms as well as; hot fill beverages, foods process technologies such as; baking, enrobing, cold-forming and other processes required from PepsiCo.
- Proactively identifying skill and capability gaps in the project team and R&D. Develop, sell in and execute steps to address including; Mentoring, Developing R&D University courses, External Experts, Etc.
- Design & execute DOE to screen, model, verify and ensure statistical capability and robustness of pilot and commercial process technologies. Assure post launch that the commercial process was robust and capture lessons learned to continuously improve.
- In collaboration with Discovery & Application (D&A) teams and your own internal and external network stay abreast of process technologies, competitor’s and suppliers use of process technologies and support development of process technologies to provide competitive advantage.
- Develop & strengthen network among internal Process Authority, Quality & Food Safety teams plus as appropriate with external experts, vendors & Strategic Partners to deliver robust and safe processes.
- Bachelor’s degree or more preferably a Master’s or PhD in; Chemical Engineering, Dairy Technology or Food Engineering.
- With Bachelors, minimum 10 years process design experience with Fortune 500 Food & Beverage or Pharmaceutical multinational companies (or their suppliers). Experience in low and high acid aseptic processing is required.
- Experience and track record of working with and improving Technical Stage / Gate process to execute complex technical projects.
- Formal training in aseptic process design & related professional experience plus; GMP, HACCP, FDA Better Process Control School or similar, EHEDG / 3-A, PMO or similar with multiple successful processes developed and commercialized.
- Demonstrated knowledge with formal training preferred in TQM & SPC with successful commercial application in low acid beverage technology design. Green belt strongly preferred.
- Experience being a key team member for FMEA reviews. Making significant contributions to identify opportunities and then succinctly translating these into development work plus clear communication to leadership.
- Innovative, analytical & forward critical thinking.
- Previous working experience and accomplishments in; Quality, Food Safety, Supply Chain Engineering, Operations, Packaging &/or Product Development are a plus.
- Ability (visas, etc.) and willingness to travel 30 - 50% of time; Middle East, Asia, Africa and globally.
Job Type: Regular