R&D Manager, Toxicology
Bringing expertise in scientifically sound and robust chemical safety assessments, the R&D Manager, Toxicology will deliver actionable technical input to maintain freedom to operate in the marketplace as well as progress new product development initiatives within the innovation agenda. Furthermore, this Manager will deliver subject matter expertise during crises/incidents and in support of PepsiCo’s external initiatives. In addition the individual will build an external network of experts and engage with trade associations and scientific institutions to advance business goals.
The position requires ability and experience to:
- Act as the toxicology lead on CODEX initiatives related to scientific risk assessments & work to integrate sound science into food standards that enable global trade
- Partner with internal Public Policy Gov’t Affairs colleagues to integrate toxicological sciences into gov’t advocacy strategies that support access to current and future ingredient technologies
- Conduct & present scientific risk assessments on the safety of ingredients, packaging materials and contaminants in a time-sensitive manner; stay ahead of new risk assessment approaches and apply as needed
- Critically review, summarize, and validate scientific publications to assess weight of evidence on safety and provide input into the design of corroborating safety studies; stay abreast of advances in alternative toxicity testing methodologies and integrate those technologies into decision-making as appropriate
- Create collaborative relationships with cross-functional colleagues in order to effectively apply and translate complex scientific data (i.e., analytical and toxicological) for practical business use
- Support line manager in expanding internal horizon scanning outside of the U.S. and EU; partner with colleagues to integrate scientific best practices into key markets including but not limited to AMEA
- Masters degree in toxicology or pharmacology
- Industry experience of 7+ years with a focus in consumer product goods is highly preferred
- Expertise in the conduct of systematic literature reviews and safety assessments for food contact materials (i.e., packaging) considered to be a plus
- Demonstrated ability to interpret wide-ranging types of scientific data and to communicate clearly and concisely with detailed knowledge as required for different business customers
- Knowledge and application of the U.S. FDA - Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) process as well as Prop 65 is highly desirable
- Enhanced understanding of the global scientific arena and public perception challenges faced by our global food businesses is a plus
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement