Senior Director, Global Design Strategy & Design Innovation
Why Design Innovation?
Our mission is to driving the innovation agendas for PepsiCo’s Global brands and businesses to help it grow and transform beyond its core. We drive innovation by defining, prototyping, learning and launching strategically aligned and commercially viable new products, services, retail experiences, brands and systems - while eating Cheetos. We challenge and seek to change how PepsiCo works to drive true business innovation.
We are a creatively driven team that leverages the power of Design Thinking to solve business problems that drive meaningful growth. We innovate with intent; to solve real problems, for real people, in the real world. We innovate to incite positive change – for people, brands, business and the world around us. We know what it takes to make ideas a reality and bring that into everything we do.
In this role you will work in collaboration with our design teams and key strategic business leaders, in conjunction with the Chief Design Officer and VP, Head of Global Design Innovation, to effectively lead drive and manage Design Innovation & Design Strategy for the enterprise.
There are three key leadership imparatives for the Senior Director:
First, in partnership with Global & Regional business leads, they will identify, scope and manage the right projects according to the top business needs and also provide thought leadership on enterprise opportunities that might be overlooked.
Second, take those prioritized projects and ensure that they are effectively staffed and run by the Design Innovation team across locations.
Third, work with the Design Leadership team to teach Design Thinking & business thinking to elevate the effectiveness of our strong design pool and to create pull for our expertise across the business and brands at large.
You should be vastly experienced at identifying opportunities, analyzing data, delivering design strategies and compelling designed experiences (brand, product, packaging, retail, merchandising) that add strategic business value. Should also have experience and a passion for mentoring and training talents through innovation & design thinking processes.
Innovation & Strategic Design Partner & Advisor: You’ll manage and deliver multiple initiatives identified in partnership with the global group leader, managing the relationship and program management with senior leadership, development and delivery of effective innovation, design strategy & holistic design solutions for PepsiCo. You’ll demonstrate superior ability to partner with senior business leaders in creating strategies that deliver against business goals while advising and framing gaps to create new project opportunities for design.
You should feel comfortable managing the ambiguity inherent in design processes, wokring closely with the business, marketing, R&D, Commercialization, Insights and Brand design leads of the different business units, understands the business & financial objectives and creates the Design Innovation programs that will deliver business success and great consumer experiences.
You’ll elevates design thinking, which underpins all our engagements, pollinates design thinking through practical design methodologies, solving complex branding problems and uncovering transformation opportunities to help brands get the most out of their design investments.
Strategic Leadership & Program Management: Partnering with the VP, Head of Global Design Innovation and working alongside the Business and marketing teams, you’ll identify, sell-in, program and lead projects. Engage with a variety of stakeholders to get input and assess options. Work across all aspects of strategic design development leading opportunity identification projects to design strategies for new brands or product opportunities. They will guide and advise a team through the Design Thinking & Innovation process to ensure that identified opportunities & design strategies result in sustainable growth and returns for the business.
Design Strategy encompasses brand strategy, design planning, and project management to ensure the design team functions at optimal strength and capacity. Working on projects that have critical business significance, demonstrate the agility to lead strategy, planning, and project management. You should have a clear understanding how business works at Pepsico and connect it with everything the design innovaiton team does.
You’ll create innovation & strategic design methodologies (tools, techniques) and innovation & strategic design proposals (visions, scenarios) in order to plan creative engagements and visualize the desired creative output.
- Be an inspiring leader, both within and outside of the design organization
- Capable of representing the Design Innovation function among senior business leaders
- Champion design thinking across the organization, educating while collaborating
- Know how to translate business needs into actionable processes and solutions
- Draw on diverse perspectives to solve design problems and drive effective solutions
- Articulate design vision through prototyping, scenario modeling, strategic roadmaps, etc.
- Collaborate closely with researchers, R&D, marketers, Commercialization teams to cross-pollinate ideas, methods, and approaches
- Build and evolve methodologies, nurture the maturity of the design & innovation capabilities
- Provide mentorship and support the professional development of team members
- Effectively influence across all levels in the organization; across regions and functions; can get things done through formal and informal channels
- Proven ability to effectively incorporate research (including primary and secondary research) in strategic design processes
- Proven experience leading multiple design innovation and interdisciplinary teams
- Track record of successfully landing innovation in the market
- 18+ years of experience, with a minimum of 7 years (recent) in a strategic design role
- Degree(s) in Product Design, Architecture, Engineering, Advertising/Branding, Design Strategy, Design Thinking and/or Business (MBA)
- Proven experience in Design Strategy, Brand Strategy or Innovation & Product Development.
- Executive MBA / MBA
- Proven track record of strong leadership, team management skills and a strategic acumen
- Superior project and client management and design management skills; attention to detail
- Compelling presentation and proposal skills
- Proven ability to multi-task, work in ambiguous and dynamic work environment; is comfortable with risk and uncertainty
- Must be willing and able to travel 20% of the time
Job Type: Pipeline
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement