Associate Principal Scientist, Flavor Technology
As the Associate Principal Scientist on the Flavor Technology team, you will drive the development, application and commercialization of new flavors and taste modification technology tools in support of Pepsi’s global business growth. Apply your flavor knowledge and technical skills to deliver sugar reduction platform that is consistent with PepsiCo Business Growth Objectives.
- Solid understanding for flavor raw materials and taste modification tools in general and those specifically leveraged in the design, optimization and production of flavor/taste modification systems
- Demonstrate strong technical skills in understanding flavor creations and their application to different beverage systems. General knowledge of flavor chemistry and food science principles as related to the flavor and beverage industries
- In-depth knowledge of flavor application processes and best practices for flavor end use in beverage. Extensive understanding of flavor delivery systems including emulsions, extractions and blends as well as their use in beverage. Capability to modify existing flavor formulations to deliver specific profiles
- Successfully transition from bench top prototypes to large scale commercialization in support of global growth initiatives. Understand technical roadmaps, hurdles and key challenges. Final flavors are plant-friendly and sustainable. Knowledge of flavor application and beverage sample preparation techniques
- Drive global innovative projects. Identify, accelerate and execute fast to market approaches to meet project goals. Deliver winning taste profiles to consumers while meeting cost targets
- Play a key role in supporting the screening/evaluating novel taste modification technology tools, responsible for rapid implementation into different bases and beverage products; become proficient with taste modification toolkit as it relates to performance, cost, regulatory, etc
- Collaborate and work under the guidance of senior flavorists and scientists. Interface and build strategic networks and effective working relationships with different functions and vendors as necessary to support project work
- Ability to work safely in a lab environment conducting, evaluating and assessing flavor prototypes to fit concept or performance specifications (functionally or operationally feasibility)
- Strong technical background with emphasis on flavor creation and taste modification technology. Proven track record in flavor creation; commercialization and hands-on bench capability.
- Strive to make a positive impact; highly motivated with the demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment; role model for collaboration and teamwork, building relationships within the flavor group and across all partners
- Results oriented with the ability to manage, balance and prioritize multiple project initiatives in order to meet business objectives
- Contribute to and foster a technically focused and creative environment to build PepsiCo’s competitive advantage
- Experienced in multi-functional teams that are focused on multiple pathways to effectively deliver business objectives
- Understand implications of flavor design across entire system and incorporate quality principles in work processes and output to deliver development initiatives with the best practice mindset
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain professional relationships cross-functionally both internally and externally
- Safety awareness as a condition of employment
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemistry, Food Science or related discipline with minimum of 7 years experience working with ingredients and creating flavors in the flavor and food industry.
- Certified Flavor Chemist preferred
- A proven track record in flavor development and hands-on bench capability; successful creation and commercialization of flavors including extracts, emulsions and blends; in depth knowledge of essential oils and other flavor raw materials.
- Collaboration and team work mindset, results orientated, strong communication and leadership skills.
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement