Our vision on the PepsiCo R&D Automation and Intelligent Systems (AIS) team is to leverage advances in Artificial intelligence (AI), Machine learning (ML), and Process controls to deliver cutting-edge, industrial automation solutions at scale. We are a team of innovative and technically advanced engineers who lead breakthrough research that will enable next generation manufacturing capability at PepsiCo. Our team combines deep process engineering knowledge with the latest advances in machine learning, computer vision, and controls to create the future of advanced manufacturing at PepsiCo.
The AIS team is looking for someone who can combine fundamental controls and process engineering knowledge with recent advances in AI. This role will challenge the individual to prototype and scale creative solutions that solve real-world manufacturing problems. The desired candidate will be comfortable with ambiguity and continuous learning. The work scope also includes locating external emerging and novel new technologies and vetting their performance to solve current business needs. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have a history of successfully deploying machine learning solutions (ex. NLP, computer vision, deep-learning, or Reinforcement Learning). The role requires a candidate with strong collaboration skills both with internal PepsiCo engineers and external experts/vendors. The position is located in Plano, TX (a suburb of Dallas) at PepsiCo’s Frito-Lay North American Research and Development Center. Our ideal AI Engineer will:
- Combine deep process engineering understanding and machine learning capability to create scalable controls and manufacturing solutions (example projects may include machine vision, advanced process control, modeling and simulation, optimization, reinforcement learning)
- Utilize Engineering first principles, scientific methods, and Controls systems knowledge to develop technical process equipment solutions that both create new business opportunities and solve existing equipment needs.
- Partner externally with key food processing equipment vendors, universities, technical consulting individuals/companies to create and prove new Controls systems and technologies enabling a robust pipeline.
- Design and execute experiments, analyze and interpret data, and make sound technical recommendations on new process equipment, technologies, and Controls strategies from prototype to plant-floor scale.
- Develop next generation Controls strategies for existing major processing lines supporting existing Snacks portfolio
- Apply sound project management skills to set and maintain timelines, budgets, staffing requirements, etc.
- Develop basic economic evaluations for new processes
- Participate as R&D representative in various internal R&D team (function, region) and cross functional business development teams including Ops, Engineering, Procurement, etc.
- Presentation of project progress to various internal teams and decision bodies, including managers up to Sr. Leadership
- Minimum BS in Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in manufacturing industries with a strong focus on automation & controls design, OR equivalent experience with history of successfully deployed machine learning solutions in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in software development, with outstanding programming knowledge in Python
- Experience in prototyping algorithms and machine learning solutions, with deep knowledge of machine learning concepts
- Experience with deep learning tools (tensorflow, caffe, Theano, Torch, Lua)
- Experience with modeling and simulations (Preferred with process control focus)
- Knowledge of core concepts such as dynamics, feedback control, Bayesian estimation, and optimization
- Familiarity with sensor data processing (sound, image, etc.)
- Experience in development of distributed, networked control systems, especially Industrial Internet of Things solutions
- Ability to aid integrators in converting scripted prototypes to manufacturing solutions
- Familiarity with industrial communication protocols such as MODBUS, Ethernet IP, etc.
- Familiarity with PLC Programming (RSLogix, Allen Bradley)
- Experience in system level validation testing/problem solving techniques
- Proven ability to solve problems / design solutions based on fundamental engineering principles
- Must work well in a team environment and demonstrate strong communication skills (oral & written)
- Ability to lead multiple projects and work streams at the same time
- Must be willing to travel 20-30% of the time
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement