Associate Fermentation Scientist
Around the world, we're working hard to give people the tastes they crave and the nutrition they need. We dream globally and act locally, constantly innovating to sustain our planet, our people, our communities and our business practices. New markets mean new ways of doing business, and new ways of addressing health concerns, cultural differences and environmental challenges. Every day is an adventure, and an opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Associate Scientist role is in the Discovery and Applications Co-Fermentation Team based in Barrington, IL. The fermentation technician will work to support scientists in the execution and monitoring of fermentation based experiments at the bench top through pilot scale. The role will support fermentation related projects across categories within the Nutrition category.
- B.S. in a Scientific discipline, preferred Microbiology, Food Fermentation, Cell Biology
- Less than 1yr Professional experience, preferably at least 1 year in the food Industry
- Excellent communication skills, able to work alone, detail-oriented
- Computer Skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience in data collection and reporting
- Experience working in a laboratory, preferred
- Experience with standard microbiological techniques including aseptic/sterile techniques, plating, dilution preparation, Media preparation
- Experience with laboratory equipment (pH meters, titrators, viscosity measurements, mixers, balances, pipettes, etc.)
- Experience with bench top and/or pilot scale fermenters a plus.
- Under the guidance of Scientist execute experiments and shelf-life studies
- Set-up, harvest, and monitoring fermentations at bench top and pilot plant scale, including and not limited to viable cell counts, pH/TA, viscosity measurements, sensory
- Media and solution/slurry preparations including weigh out of ingredients, heat treatments and transfer to fermenters, culture inoculation
- Set-up and monitoring of shelf-life studies including, data & sample collection and team tastings
- Routine sampling, data collection and reporting to lead scientist
- Sample submission to analytical, rheology, micro, sensory etc. following PepsiCo protocol and formats.
- Work with cross-functional partners to ensure correct sample quantity, etc are submitted for
- Support daily laboratory operations including labeling of samples and ingredients to PepsiCo standards, inventory management, maintaining and cleaning of work areas
- Maintain ingredient records including: Data sheets, COAs, MSDS’s, etc.
- Maintain laboratory equipment including troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, and daily calibrations
- Ensure PepsiCo safety policies are followed
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement