You care about what your work means to the rest of the world – so do we. Imagine what can happen when we work together.
In the role of Packaging Lab Technician, you will be responsible for testing the performance of packaging materials using approved scientific methods & equipment, technical report writing, and analysis of the data to offer insights. Additionally, you may have the opportunity to attend plant trials, offering field support, identify or lead capital acquisition of new equipment for the lab, conduct or support pilot plant work, provide lab safety and general equipment training, provide lab tours and presentations.
In this role you will also support management of the test queue, working collaboratively with a team, maintaining a safe, tidy lab environment, maintenance of equipment, developing test methods for new equipment, performing package tests across a wide variety of materials, formats and testing technologies, recording and analyzing data, developing and maintaining standards, and training.
What we expect from you:
- Execute lab testing according to PepsiCo/ Industry standards (ASTM/ ISTA), maintaining solid documentation and observation skills, develops new SOPs as needed
- Translate technical knowledge of industry standard methodology and equipment operating guardrails into effective package test plans as needed
- Work with a variety of packaging materials (bottles, closures, labels, cans, glass, corrugated, unit loads, etc), processing conditions (hot fill, cold fill, carbonation, aseptic), and demonstrates aptitude to work with a variety of materials, and processing conditions. Technician must be willing to learn about packaging materials
- Coordinate activities for, and attend plant trials or pilot plant trials to support engineers as needed. Coordinates the storage of samples, submits samples for required analytical or sensory testing, etc. as a result of those trials
- Provide leadership in a team environment that supports the needs of multiple business units and sometimes competing priorities
- Perform all on the job activities in a safe manner and within the context of all PepsiCo safety protocols, as well as willing to lead safety platform
- Research, evaluate and recommend capital needs for the packaging labs
- Develops presentations based on work
- Compose custom package test protocols, standard operating procedures and standard test methodologies when none exists
- Takes direction from multiple sources, from junior engineers to senior leaders
- Attend business meetings and project reviews
- Associates degree, Bachelors preferred in science/ engineering with 2-3 years experience (internship included)
- Strong interpersonal skills: will work with Engineers to effectively and efficiently meet business objectives, asks questions for clarity, offers insights on additional testing that may be beneficial
- Works independently with little or no supervision to meet daily objectives
- Excellent technical report writing skills: Collects & interprets data, and communicates observations to the Packaging Engineers
- Must be proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Outlook as well as other general computer skills
- Must work well in ambiguous environment, where tasks may change on daily basis, and team divides the work load
- Ability to develop presentations and give lab tours to cross functional team members, and external groups, describing what we do, and what specific equipment is capable of testing
- Trains new hires/ interns as they join the company
- Willing to be flexible with work hours and also work overtime
- Must be willing to become fork lift certified
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly, and up to 50 pounds
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
For San Francisco Bay Area: Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement