- The main deliverables for this role is to ensure the creation and delivery of a 3yr transformational Snacks Innovation Pipeline for all SSA regions in line with our strategic ambitions
- Geography: SSA (SADC, West Africa, East Africa) and link into WESSA
- Project Portfolio: c.10-25 projects delivering innovation NR pa
- Product Categories: Pellets, Savoury Grains, Baked, Nuts, Oats, TC, PC & Seeds
- Budget oversight
- Monitor R&D expenditure against a given programme
- The role allows the opportunity to influence decisions involving significant capital sums
- Take accountability of identifying technical solutions for BU calendar activities
- Manage raw material suppliers, especially seasoning houses to lead work programmes on behalf of PepsiCo
- Working within cross-functional project teams (e.g. alongside Marketing, Operations etc), project team members can typically range from level 5 to Band 4 (VP), hence considerable interaction and ability to influence will be required at a senior level (especially within Marketing and Operations).
- The role involves managing priorities within own team to deliver quality, renovation projects with limited guidance from R&D Director.
- The role involves managing project(s) on Brands with significant turnover
Key Performance Measures
- Set the agenda for the Savoury Grains, Baked, Nuts and Seeds and Pellets Categories.
- Developing an understanding and demonstrating application of consumer product testing, sensory, analytical, etc to deliver superior products to the market and capture product intelligence.
- Lead a team of R&D scientists to develop and execute projects utilising solid technical project management tools and skills to ensure objectives are accomplished on time, to the agreed standards and within budget.
- Leveraging expertise inside and outside the organisation to deliver product and process development.
- Deputise as required for the R&D Director to represent R&D interest at key forums (e.g. Activation Board)
- Line management – coaching, development, and performance reviews.
Decision Making Authority
Regular contact with the R&D Director and Senior R&D Manager. The role carries a high degree of autonomy to interface with cross-functional partners and external collaborators. Therefore, a high degree of individual decision making is required within product development and execution:
- Lead communication with internal clients and external suppliers
- Make decisions based on what is best for the organisation and on strategy for R&D
- Determine and propose resource allocation and project milestones
- Define work programmes and project management
- Transform data and information into meaningful insights to drive innovation
- Derive Hypotheses and direct experimental design, testing and interpretation
- Lead team to ensure product specifications related to projects are available and accurate
- Presentation of proposals and recommendations at Executive level.
Setting the Agenda
- Track record of influencing transformational initiatives
- Established competence at product development
- Excellent understanding of key business drivers and ability to apply to improve results
- Good understanding/appreciation of the broader business environment and application of technical and commercial knowledge during project execution.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to influence with integrity through persuasive communication to win support at more senior levels within R&D and Marketing and to build effective relationships with a wide range of stakeholders from different levels, backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to explain complex technical issues / solutions to a non-technical audience
- Self-starter, self-motivating: able to balance competing priorities without losing momentum and manage uncertainty and complexity in fast evolving FMCG environments
- Quickly analyses complex problems to find actionable pragmatic solutions and constructive action plan
• Able to inspire passion around shared goals both with direct reports and colleagues
• Ability to create and use networks to actively seek and take advantage of ideas, best practice and solutions developed elsewhere
• Proactively shares information, best practices and ideas with others within R&D
• Values different perspectives and experiences and establishes trust and mutual respect when working with other people regardless of professional or cultural background.
• Fosters a positive, inclusive work environment where people feel respected and valued for their contributions, especially capable of working cross culturally
• Supports people to build their skills and empowers others to act and think in ways that will get the job done
• Promotes an environment of achievement, recognition and celebration
• Cultural sensitivity/flexibility in responding to different cultures
R&D Functional Excellence
• First Degree or equivalent in a Science or Engineering related discipline.
• Previous project management experience, covering product & process development ideally within FMCG environment.
• Passion for creativity and innovation within a commercially driven environment
• Strives for high standards, seeks innovative solutions, drives continuous improvement of products and processes and demonstrates a high degree of intellectual curiosity
• Understanding of manufacturing relating to PepsiCo products and processes
• Strong analytical skills to interpret complex data and distil into meaningful information e.g. interpreting consumer insights, experimental design and statistical inferenceRelocation Eligible: Not Applicable
Job Type: Pipeline