The Packaging Lab Technician’s primary role is testing the performance of packaging materials using approved scientific methods & equipment, technical report writing, and analysis of the data to offer insights with our Beverages Division. Additionally, technicians may attend plant trials, offering field support, identify or lead the capital acquisition of new equipment for the lab, conduct or support pilot plant work, provide lab safety and general equipment training, provide lab tours and presentations.
Areas of focus include supporting the management of the test queue, working collaboratively with a team, maintaining a safe, tidy lab environment, maintenance of equipment, developing test methods for new equipment, performing package tests across a wide variety of materials, formats and testing technologies, recording and analyzing data, developing and maintaining standards, and training.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Execute lab testing according to PepsiCo/ Industry standards (ASTM/ ISTA), maintaining solid documentation and observation skills, develops new SOPs as needed
- Translate technical knowledge of industry-standard methodology and equipment operating guardrails into effective package test plans as needed
- Work with a variety of packaging materials (bottles, closures, labels, cans, glass, corrugated, unit loads, etc), processing conditions (hot fill, cold fill, carbonation, aseptic), and demonstrates aptitude to work with a variety of materials, and processing conditions. The technician must be willing to learn about packaging materials
- Coordinate activities for, and attend plant trials or pilot plant trials to support engineers as needed. Coordinates the storage of samples, submits samples for required analytical or sensory testing, etc. as a result of those trials
- Provide leadership in a team environment that supports the needs of multiple business units and sometimes competing for priorities
- Perform all on the job activities in a safe manner and within the context of all PepsiCo safety protocols, as well as willing to lead safety platform
- Research, evaluate and recommend capital needs for the packaging labs
- Develops presentations based on work and attend business meetings/project reviews
- Compose custom package test protocols, standard operating procedures and standard test methodologies when none exists
- Give lab tours to cross-functional team members, and external groups, describing what we do, and what specific equipment is capable of testing
- Trains new hires/ interns as they join the company
- Bachelors Degree in Science/Engineering strongly preferred but will consider Associates Degree in Science/Engineering with 2-3 years packaging experience
- Strong interpersonal skills: will work with Engineers to effectively and efficiently meet business objectives, asks questions for clarity, offers insights on additional testing that may be beneficial
- Works independently with little or no supervision to meet daily objectives
- Has basic knowledge of most of the packaging equipment in the labs
- Excellent technical report writing skills: collects & interprets data, and communicates observations to the Packaging Engineers
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Willing to be flexible with work hours and work overtime
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds repeatedly, and up to 50#
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement