This scientist will work in a multi-disciplinarily team complementing PepsiCo’s genetics, breeding, systems biology, agronomy, and sustainability activities.
The position sits in the Agro Discovery & Sustainability function within Global R&D. The position reports to the citrus crop technology lead/chief greening officer.
- Develop crop physiology research programs, within the context of the Agro Discovery & Sustainability strategy initially for citrus but eventually for potato, oats and corn which addresses both short and long terms business challenges in productivity, quality and safety.
- Foster collaborative partnerships with internal/external academic, government agencies, grower associations and industry partners to achieve business objectives.
- Oversee the implementation of field, quality and sensory based experiments placed at research institutes. Own the experimental lifecycle: develop strategies (internal/external) for managing citrus greening impacts, negotiate costs, collaborate on experimental design, coordinate supply of seed or starting materials, monitor progress, manage sample analysis through PepsiCo facilities, organize & analyse emergent data, generate reports and present back to the business.
- Negotiate with external parties to deliver cost effective programs and secure proprietary positions for PepsiCo. Maintain all confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements regarding scientific research.
- Proactively manage projects and timelines to meet business deliverables and milestones and applying PepsiCo project management standards and practices.
- Provide in-house and external scientific expertise in the areas of crop physiology and translate this scientific understanding into commercial relevant insights which address business challenges.
- Lead and participate in multi-disciplinary teams that integrate science and technology with business strategies to enable innovative research programs that solve business needs.
- Represent PepsiCo in external cooperative consortia and government research/grant working groups around crop physiology and crop production as requested.
- Drive cultural evolution in PepsiCo teams and public collaborators around the application of crop physiology. Act as a coach, mentor, advisor, and advocate.
- Maintain accurate records of all scientific activities in compliance with company standards.
- Provide regular reports and data summaries to project teams and department leaders.
- Adapt to unexpected delays and changes in workflows to maintain overall productivity.
- PhD or equivalent (masters with <5 years’ experience) in Biological Sciences (Crop Physiology, Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Plant Pathology, Crop Chemistry, Breeding/Genetics, Botany, etc.) or related disciplines. Experience within industry an advantage. Specific experience in citrus, tree crops (almonds, peaches, apples), potato, oat, and/or corn physiology is an advantage.
- Expertise in experimental design of field and lab-based experiments, data management and statistical interpretation is required.
- Prior experience working with government agencies (USDA, NIFA, MAC), grower associations and NFP entities a plus.
- Experience in fruit/veg plant pathology, IPM or crop chemistry definite advantage.
- Track record in publication of articles, presentations at conferences or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex crop physiology concepts to other scientists and to non-technical business partners.
- Excellent communication and networking ability with internal and external audiences that have a wide range of scientific expertise.
- A proven ability to work closely with colleagues on complex projects with a high degree of flexibility and comfort with change.
- Visionary, entrepreneurial, and innovative attitude strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects within a project management framework.
- Ability to balance need to deliver aggressive business innovation goals with scientific excellence.
- Position will be based in Florida
- Candidate must have a valid driving license
- Must be willing to travel 20-30% of the time both domestic and international.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement