The PepsiCo Global Health and Nutrition Sciences team is seeking a Principal Scientist to lead research and innovation efforts in digestive health with a focus on the role of the microbiome. This role is integral to shape the company’s strategy across product categories in these areas. The position will engage and work closely with product development and business teams to drive product innovation. It will provide leadership for the clinical research program to develop new product benefits and claims with a clear emphasis on proprietary opportunities in the areas of the gut microbiome. It will also involve the communication of scientific and nutrition information to non-technical functions such as marketing, consumer insights, and legal teams.
· Effectively assess existing and emerging nutrition science to provide R&D and business teams with science-based innovation opportunities.
· Lead the design and execution of human clinical research studies on PepsiCo products and ingredients with an emphasis on how diet impacts health through the microbiome. Translate results to business opportunities and communicate with R&D and business partners.
· Leverage external partnerships with global academic experts, scientific organizations, research institutes to expand PepsiCo’s network and create efficiencies in research and communications.
· Interact with ingredient suppliers to assess the scientific strength of ingredient health benefits to support product claims and collaborate with R&D teams on feasibility assessment for use in a variety of product formats.
· Monitor and track product nutritional profiles, key ingredients and claims of key business categories and those of the competitive set. Provide strategic guidance to R&D and business teams to guide product development.
· Communicate nutrition science information in a user-ready format for the non-technical functions in the business including marketing, consumer insights, PR, sale and legal.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the food industry or related field.
- PhD in Nutrition Sciences, Biochemistry or related discipline.
- Expertise in conducting human clinical research on the gut microbiome and deep understanding of the scientific methods and data analysis techniques used.
- Strong ability to work and communicate effectively in cross-functional and global teams.
- Ability to translate complex scientific information to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Technical and scientific writing expertise for general, professional and scientific audiences.
- Ability to manage complex projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility and ability to work with diverse cultural backgrounds, personalities, and work styles within various levels of the global organization.
- Travel required is approximately 25%.
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement