The next great shift in consumer behavior driven by technological disruption is underway, and it’s happening in the food & beverage industry.
As other sectors have shifted to eCommerce-first business models in recent years, food & beverage has continued to rely predominantly on traditional brick & mortar models, but this is changing rapidly. New technologies are transforming every aspect of reaching consumers, from the rise of digital marketing and online grocery platforms, to the creation of supply chain tools that enable speedy at-home delivery. According to the Food Marketing Institute, 70% of U.S. consumers will shop online for groceries by 2024, with an estimated annual spend of $100 billion.
To deepen our efforts to seize this opportunity and lead the food & beverage industry into its remarkable next chapter, PepsiCo – a global company with powerhouse brands including Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker, and Tropicana – is expanding its Global eCommerce Team. We’re looking for the greatest minds in software engineering, data & analytics, machine learning and next-generation supply chain. Given PepsiCo’s incredible reach (our foods and beverages are enjoyed more than one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories, leveraging a value chain involving diverse partners ranging from farmers and food scientists to retailers and logistics specialists), the challenges we’re addressing are complex and the solutions will be deeply impactful.
Although PepsiCo is a large multinational, the PepsiCo Global eCommerce Team prides itself on having the entrepreneurial, action-oriented culture of an exciting startup business. Our group includes startup founders, Silicon Valley veterans, food & beverage experts, and seasoned executives from digital transformation leaders such as Amazon and Walmart. Our goal is to build the technological products and capabilities that will reinvent our industry and make us the #1 food & beverage business in eCommerce for decades to come
We're looking for a Backend Engineer to join our growing engineering team and assist us in driving product initiatives forward while upholding our high engineering standards.
In this role you will have several distinct responsibilities and priorities:
- You will own backend feature development end-to-end, spanning data models, testing, scalability, operability and ongoing metrics.
- We work in Elixir: however, languages can be learned. We put more emphasis on your general engineering skill and willingness to learn than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- We need you to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the backend as we continue to push technology forward.
- Functional programming e.g. Elixir, Clojure or Haskell
- Ruby on Rails
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
- 6+ years of professional experience in software development.
- 3+ years of exposure to building API clients.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous integrations, testing, and operations.
- Hands-on experience with cloud-based platform capabilities.
Job Type: Regular
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement